3 Best Option to Convert Bitcoin to Cash (USD, EUR, GBP, etc)
It’s great to see that with all the added interest in Bitcoin from new investors that the services and products to buy Bitcoin are getting better and better.
In the same spirit, we want the services and products to be equally as good when we want to sell Bitcoin for cash again.
So in this article, we will explore how to convert Bitcoin to USD, or other Fiat currencies. We will take you through the current best available options for converting BTC into Fiat money so that you can easily pick the one that suits you best.
So keep reading to find out more about the best options for converting Bitcoin to cash.
This guide will cover these areas for how to convert Bitcoin to cash:
- The 3 best options to convert Bitcoin to cash
- Tax guidance after converting Bitcoin to cash
- Conclusion about converting your Bitcoins to cash
Your 3 best options to Convert Bitcoin to cash
When you are looking to convert Bitcoin to cash again you will have a few different options available. And depending on what your needs are some might suit you better.
But these are your three best options for converting Bitcoin to USD, GBP, EUR or other Fiat currencies:
- Method #1 – Convert Bitcoin to cash via people at LocalBitcoins
- Method #2 – Convert Bitcoin to cash via a Fiat-accepting exchange
- Method #3 – Convert Bitcoin to stablecoins like USDT, USDC, etc
So these are three different options that allow you to sell your Bitcoins for cash in different ways. And some might suit you better than others. Don’t worry we will provide you with recommendations for each method.
Method #1 Convert Bitcoin to cash via www.Localbitcoins.com
One of the most commonly used methods of how to easily convert Bitcoin to USD, EUR, GBP or pretty much any other Fiat currency in the world has been LocalBitcoins.
It is clear from the name that LocalBitcoins.com provides you with one of the best options to easily sell Bitcoin for cash.
Localbitcoins was founded back in 2012, so it is one of the early adopters in the Bitcoin space. Most of us who’s been in the space for some time now has some kind of relation to Localbitocins.
It’s a Bitcoin marketplace that connects private buyers with sellers of Bitcoins to each other. And it’s currently today a bit of a rarity in a market full of digital cryptocurrency exchanges.
It is also unique as it is available in so many different countries in the world that you can easily find a buyer or seller in your own local Fiat currency. Being USD, GBP, EUR, or what have you.
Step by step guide to Converting Bitcoins to USD or other fiat currencies via LocalBitcoins
- Go to www.localbitcoins.com and log in or first create an account and then log in
- Click on ‘Sell Bitcoins’ on the menu.
- You can now either put up your sale offer by yourself or click on one of the potentially available bids in the menu below
- If you want to accept a bid just click on the ‘sell‘ button next to the bid. And then you enter the amount of BTC, the price you want for it and a phone number, for example, to connect you with the buyer (see screenshots below for guidance)
- If you want to create your own sale – then you go through the options for it
- Select the number of Bitcoins you want to sell for cash, the Fiat currency (USD, GBP, EUR, etc), the country you want to sell in and then what types of offers you want to accept. Meaning bank account transfer, cash deposit, PayPal, etc (see screenshots below for guidance)
Why we recommend you using LocalBitcoins
It’s one of the most common places to buy and sell crypto at, so for us it’s one of the best places to sell Bitcoins for some real-world money cash. Get registered at www.localbitcoins.com and try it out for yourself.
- Super handy exchange to sell Bitcoin easily. Here you can sell Bitcoin for Fiat money easily (USD, but also almost any other Fiat currency). As it connects you with private people directly.
- One of the pioneers in the Bitcoin world and that has been around for a long time
- No trading fees from the site itself
Method #2 – Convert Bitcoin to cash via a Fiat-accepting exchange
Another very popular way how to sell Bitcoin for cash is via a Fiat accepting cryptocurrency exchange.
A crypto exchange is a digital exchange where you can buy and sell cryptocurrencies and especially Bitcoin. But not all of them accept fiat transfers in, or out.
Meaning you can buy and sell cryptocurrencies directly with a credit or debit card, or a wire transfer to and from your bank. So here we are guiding you to the one that gives you the opportunity to sell Bitcoins for cash.
Coinbase – the user-friendly exchange
One of the giants of crypto and they are experts in making it super easy to buy Bitcoin with cash but also to sell Bitcoins for cash later on.
The U.S exchange was also founded back in 2012 by Brian Armstrong. The American crypto giant was recently valued at around $8 billion dollars. And that’s not crazy considering the rise they’ve made to become what they are today.
And the way they went about it too. By creating a website and exchange that’s super easy to use, and gives us users the option to easily put money in from our bank accounts, debit or credit cards. And of course as easily with cashing out our Bitcoins to cash. It’s one of the easiest ways where you can quickly sell Bitcoin for USD, EUR, GBP.
How to sell your Bitcoins for cash on Coinbase
- Head over to www.coinbase.com to either sign in or first create an account with Coinbase
- And then click on the ‘Trade‘ button in the menu
- After that, a new dialogue box will appear – click on ‘Sell‘
- Here you can sell your BTCs for cash BUT if you haven’t linked a bank account to Coinbase you need to do this first – see guide for linking below
- Select the amount of Bitcoins you want to sell for cash – here you will sell your BTCs for your linked fiat currency. In my case, it will be my EUR wallet. It might be USD or another for you
- And then click on ‘sell Bitcoin‘
- After that you need to go to your EUR/USD/GBP, etc wallet – so click on ‘Portfolio’ and then the Fiat currency wallet
- After that, you will be able to withdraw your funds to your linked bank account
- Wait a few days for the money to appear in your bank account
Why we recommend you using Coinbase
Coinbase is a pioneer in the cryptocurrency world. By focusing on creating the most user-friendly exchange available. Try it out yourself at Coinbase (Get $10 free when signing up via that link). One of the easiest ways to sell your Bitcoins for cash with. For example, commonly USD, but also to GBP and EUR.
It is one of the more trusted exchanges in the world, more likely that they will be around for a long time. Learn more about the difference between Coinbase and Coinbase Pro.
- One of the easiest ways to sell Bitcoin and easily sell Bitcoin to USD, but also to GBP and EUR. It is one of the more trusted exchanges in the world, more likely that they will be around for a long time
- It has a great and intuitive UX, which makes it really easy to use and great for beginners
- Option for an easy version and more advanced version (Coinbase Pro – learn more about the difference between Coinbase and Coinbase Pro)
eToro – the social exchange
The third option on our fiat accepting exchanges list is eToro. The fintech startup that disrupted the stocks investing scene a few years ago by adding social layers to investing, and making investing through digital means so much easier and accessible for us normal folks is also offering a crypto and Bitcoin trading option.
Why we like eToro on this list on selling Bitcoin for cash is because of their wide offering. Across different investment markets. Like stocks, cryptocurrencies and futures contracts.
eToro doesn’t have as many cryptocurrencies as other exchanges, but they do have FIAT deposit options – bank transfer, debit card, credit card and in many currencies, and others like Paypal, Skrill and more) and other interesting features like following and copy other popular traders. eToro is a great place to sell Bitcoins at, as you can also look into other investments like stocks on eToro.
How to sell your Bitcoins for cash on eToro
- Head over to www.etoro.com and log in / create an account
- Then head over to the Bitcoin market (https://www.etoro.com/markets/btc)
- Click on the ‘Trade‘ button and then click on ‘Sell‘
- Select the amount and price you want
- Wait for the trade to go through
Why we recommend you using eToro
Social investment giant has in just a few years shocked the investment worlds from stocks to now cryptocurrencies. A future cryptocurrency and Bitcoin giant? Try it out yourself at www.etoro.com
- eToro should rank in the top because it will be one of the more secure ways where you can sell Bitcoins to cash. It also has several popular payment gateways added, like PayPal and Skrill for example.
- It has a lot of cool features, like social trading, which allows you to copy trading strategies, portfolios, etc
- A trusted cryptocurrency exchange, that will more likely be around and continue to innovate in the coming years.
Binance – The full-service crypto exchange
Binance is one of our favourite cryptocurrency exchanges. Ours and millions of cryptocurrency traders around the world.
And we called Binance full-service cryptocurrency exchange. And with that, we mean that they provide a crypto investor with pretty much everything they need.
From buying crypto with a bank card, or their bank accounts. To a great selection of available cryptocurrencies, to one of the best trading volumes by all cryptocurency exchanges on the market.
So overall it is a great exchange to use. And did you know that they also have made it possible for us to sell our cryptocurrencies for fiat currencies (USD, GBP, EUR, etc) on their exchange?
How to sell your Bitcoins for cash on Binance
- To sell Bitcoin for cash on Binance – head over to their site www.binance.com and log in / create an account with Binance.
- And when logged in click on ‘Fiat‘ in the menu and then ‘Buy crypto‘.
- You will then come to this page and here you can sell your Bitcoins for cash.
- You will need to provide Binance with KYC details to get approved for selling BTC for cash
Have a look at the different options that we provided and let us know which one is your favourite.
Method #3 – Convert Bitcoin to stablecoins like USDT, USDC and DAI
The third option that you can use when wanting to sell your Bitcoins for cash is actually to convert them into stablecoins instead.
Stablecoins are like Fiat currencies but digital versions of them. Today’s stablecoins are not created by banks or Governments, but in most cases by companies. And most of them are pegged to a specific Fiat currency. Like the USD (Dollar).
So one stablecoin pegged to the USD would stay stable in value to the Dollar. Or it could be pegged to the EUR, GBP or any other Fiat currency in the world.
These stablecoins can stay stable and pegged to a Fiat currency by being backed by a similar amount in USD, or other Fiat currencies. Some can even be backed by commodities like gold.
So stablecoins provides a very useful solution when you want to convert your Bitcoins to the USD for example but not completely sell them. This could be useful when you want to exit from Bitcoin’s volatile price movements and secure your funds.
These are some of the most commonly used stablecoins right now:
- USDT (Tether) is the most traded stablecoin in the world right now and it is pegged to the USD. It is created on the Omni blockchain. Visit Tether’s website to learn more about it. Find out more where you can convert Bitcoin to USDT here
- USDC (USD Coin) is a stablecoin created by Coinbase. Built on the Ethereum blockchain and also pegged to the USD. Learn more about USDC here. And you can find out exchanges where you can convert Bitcoin to USDC here.
- DAI is a stablecoin created on Ethereum blockchain by the decentralised community team of Maker Dao. It is also pegged to the USD. Find out where you can convert BTC to DAI here
Why you should use a stablecoin to convert your Bitcoin to USD
- You can convert your BTCs quickly to a stablecoin are avoid any price volatility. This way you can make sure your money stays stable in value
- You can also easily trade your stablecoins back to Bitcoins or other cryptocurrencies. It is much quicker than if you would have sold your Bitcoins for cash and had the money in your bank account
In most countries, we all need to pay taxes on our Bitcoin or crypto trades, or when we have bought something using your crypto. So it’s important to check if your country is one of them, a majority of countries are.
So after converting Bitcoin to USD or other Fiat currencies via either LocalBitcoins, or a cryptocurrency exchange, or the stablecoins you might need to pay taxes for your trades.
To learn more about when taxes for your crypto trades might be necessary we have written down three of the most common scenarios for when you need to pay crypto taxes below.
Common scenarios when you might need to pay taxes on crypto
- You bought one cryptocurrency and traded it for another. In many countries this is considered a taxable event, for any capital gains or loss made on that trade.
- You bought something with your cryptocurrency, for example you paid for your morning coffee with some Bitcoin, or a car, or a pizza, etc.
- You have mined or staked cryptocurrencies, this might be taxed as a hobby or professionally.
But don’t worry use these great crypto tax tools to help you
Use one of these smart tax tools that collect all your trades made from all the different exchanges and automatically creates tax reports for you, they are amazing.
We’ve been there, we know. All of these crypto tax tools lets you easily track all your crypto transactions, track your portfolio earnings and losses. And also track when you have sold cryptos like Bitcoin for cash, which makes them very handy.
Conclusion – converting Bitcoin to cash
We hope that this guide helped to answer how to easily convert Bitcoin to USD, or other Fiat currencies. Even how to convert your Bitcoins to stablecoins like USDT, USDC and the DAI.
Now you know that there are different options available depending on your needs. So that you can easily pick the best option for you.
Let us know which option of these three is your favourite and why here below in the comments section.
Other popular guides:
- HODL, DYOR, REKT the 41 cryptocurrency terms you need to know!
- The best Bitcoin and cryptocurrency wallets
- How to buy the crypto Neo
- How to buy the crypto EOS
Per Englund – Founder of Go CryptoWise a cryptocurrency and tech fan that want to see better and smarter products and services that make our lives better and easier