Changelly Review 2020 | Is it Legit & Safe – Find out!
This post may have affiliate links. That means if you make a purchase I may get a commission (at no extra cost for you). To find out more about it read our Disclosure page
Changelly is a popular cryptocurrency broker platform that firstly lets you easily swap one cryptocurrency for another, which is really handy.
And secondly, it lets you also buy and sell cryptocurrencies directly via their site. Overall Changelly has grown to become one of the most popular sites to quickly buy, sell or swap cryptocurrencies in 2020.
Additionally in this review of Changelly, we will also answer some of the most popular questions asked by crypto investors right now.
- Is Changelly legit?
- And is Changelly safe to use?
- And what is the difference between Changelly vs Shapeshift?
Further, we will explain how to use Changelly in an easy-to-follow step by step guide. Let us get to it then.
Changelly review – Is it safe and how to use it
Changelly was founded in 2015 and it has Eric Benz as the current CEO.
So before we get into how to use it, what features it has, etc we were thinking of delving right into answering some key questions asked about Changelly.
- Is Changelly legit, and is it safe to use?
Changelly says it is trusted and used by more than 2 million users around the world. Additionally, it has a big following on social media:
- Twitter followers of 28k users – Changelly Twitter account
- Facebook page with about 6500 fans – Changelly Facebook page
- Reddit page with 1400 users – Changelly Reddit page
Changelly also has dedicated 24/7 customer support, a nice-looking website, a mobile app for both Android and iOS. So overall I would say Changelly is safe and legit.
Additionally, Changelly is on Trustpilot (an independent review site). Where it has over 1300 reviews and a score of 4.5 stars out of 5 and an excellent review summary. Find out more about the Changelly reviews on Trustpilot here.
You can also leave your own review of Changelly after using it to help others. Please note that it is, of course, common that people leave reviews of products, services, and sites when something has been a negative experience than when something works as planned.
Changelly and Monero issues
There’s been some issues concerning Monero the privacy crypto and Changelly of late.
Where there’s been instances of users depositing Monero to Changelly and then not been able to access, or withdraw those cryptocurrencies again.
This is very serious. But it is hard to judge what is true or not. So without judging to fast there could be a few reasons for this:
- Changelly and every financial institute needs to perform KYC checks on users when required and full-fill the AML (Anti-Money Laundering regulations)
- Monero has strongly been associated with criminal activities and so could perhaps these users also have been also therefore there’s been legit claims from Changelly to stop criminals from laundering funds via their exchange
- Or Changelly are stealing funds from their users. The last thing would of course if true become a big media thing
So I can’t say one thing or another without knowing the full story and get access to all the facts. But if you are planning to cash out Monero I’d avoid Changelly.
Some of the key reasons for why Changelly has grown to become so popular and widely used (over 2 million users worldwide) is highly due to how the user-friendliness of the site and app, and the great UI.
Now we are going to highlight some of the key features of Changelly that attract users from around the world.
- The high-speed swap of over 150+ cryptocurrencies – From popular ones like Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, Bitcoin Cash to many of the new exciting altcoins (find out more which cryptos that are supported here)
- Instant-buying for many popular cryptos like BTC, ADA, BAT, BCH, ETH, DASH, LTC, EOS and many more with a credit card or debit card
- Mobile app for both iOS and Android
- Added 2-factor authentication for security
- Industry low Changelly fees of 0.25% for swapping cryptocurrencies
- Changelly widget that you can put on your blog or website to help your visitors easily buy and swap cryptos
Download the Changelly app here below:
How to use Changelly to swap cryptocurrencies
One of the key features of Changelly is, of course, the service they are providing in which you can easily swap one cryptocurrency for another.
The name of Changelly suggests so.
Follow this step by step guide to swap one cryptocurrency for another:
- Head over to www.changelly.com and on the site, you will see the swap widget
- Enter the cryptocurrency that you have and the one that you want to swap it for. Let’s say you want to swap some Bitcoin (BTC) for Ethereum (ETH)
- Select the amount and click on ‘Exchange now‘
- You can either go by fixed rates or flexible – select which one
- Enter your address that you want to send the cryptocurrencies you are swapping for and click on ‘Next step‘
- Sign up for an account with Changelly if you haven’t
- You will then send the cryptos (let’s say BTC) to the address provided by Changelly and then wait for the cryptocurrencies to be sent to the address that you provided (let’s say ETH)
It will take at most about 30 minutes for the swap to complete. But sometimes due to higher network activity, it might take a bit longer.
How to use Changelly to buy cryptocurrencies
You can also use Changelly to buy cryptos directly from their site with a bank card – a credit card or debit card. Both VISA cards and Mastercards are accepted at Changelly.
To buy cryptocurrencies at Changelly follow this step by step guide:
To help you buy cryptocurrencies using Changelly’s site or app we have created this step by step guide for you below. We have used ETH in our guide as an example.
But you can buy over 150+ cryptocurrencies using Changelly. So you can follow this guide for all cryptos as the guide is the same for all.
- Head over to www.changelly.com and click on ‘Buy crypto VISA’ button
- You can then select the Fiat currency that you want to use for buying cryptos – either USD, EUR or GBP
- Select the amount of ETH you want to buy for in Fiat currencies
- Click on ‘Pay with VISA/Mastercard’
- Enter your Ethereum address (or other cryptocurrency address that you want to send your newly bought ETH to)
- Enter your email address and then you will get a confirmation code sent to it – enter the confirmation code on the Changelly site/app again
- Then enter your bank card details and identification details
- Then proceed to make the payment and wait until the cryptocurrencies get sent to your wallet address
It should take at most 1 hour to buy cryptocurrencies via Changelly. Depending on network activity and traffic volume during the time of the transaction.
Please note that you need to have a wallet before buying cryptocurrencies on Changelly.
How to use Changelly to sell cryptocurrencies (only for EU customers)
A fairly new feature that Changelly have added is to allow their customers to sell cryptocurrencies for fiat currencies using their site.
This feature is currently only available for EU customers and people in Israel. And you can use this to sell your cryptocurrencies easily for cash (Fiat currencies) via a bank transfer to your bank account.
This service is provided by Changelly together with Bits of Gold.
To sell cryptocurrencies on Changelly follow this step by step guide:
- Head to www.changelly.com and click on ‘Sell crypto via SEPA’
- Select the Fiat currency you want to sell your Bitcoin for. Either EUR or ILS
- Select the amount in BTC you want to sell for – and it will show you what you will get out in the selected Fiat currency
- Create an account to continue
- Enter your bank account details
- You will then send your BTC to the provided address in order to sell them for Fiat currencies
Please note that there is a payment range which you have to follow in order to sell cryptocurrencies via Changelly and Bits of Gold – this payment range is between €250 and €5000 EUR.
In this Changelly review, we will do our best to make it as transparent as possible for the customers while using Changelly to either buy, sell or swap cryptocurrencies.
These are the currently active Changelly fees for their services, note that these might change over time so please check Changelly’s website for the latest information.
Swapping fees – for trading one cryptocurrency for another
0.25% – These fees are when you swap one crypto for another. For example, trading 1 BTC for about 55 ETH
Buying cryptocurrencies fees
There are some different fees that apply when buying cryptocurrencies over at Changelly.
These are current fees for buying cryptocurrencies using Changelly if you pay with MoonPay current fees applies:
- MoonPay fee – 4.99 $/€/£ or 3.5% if the purchase amount is higher than 145 $/€/£.
- Changelly fee – 4%
- 7.5% in total maximum
And if you pay with Indacoin current fees applies:
- 10% combined fees with Indacoin and Changelly
And for paying with Simplex these are the fees that apply:
- 5% Simplex fee
- 5% Changelly fee
- 10% in total
Find out more about the current Changelly fees by visiting their FAQ page – click here.
Selling cryptocurrencies fees
As a fairly new feature, Changelly has partnered with Bits of Gold to provide the option for EU customers to sell cryptocurrencies via their site.
As it stands right now this features are only available for selling Bitcoin, see our step by step guide above for instructions.
The fees that apply when selling cryptocurrencies via Changelly and Bits of Gold are:
- The selling fees are flexible, but roughly it is about 5% fees when selling
Changelly vs Shapeshift
Shapeshift is another website where you can easily swap one cryptocurrency for another similar to Changelly.
Shapeshift was created in 2014 by Eik Voorhees, a fairly famous figure in the crypto space. Shapeshift also owns Keepkey the hardware wallet manufacturer.
You can also use Shapeshift to buy Bitcoin today. It is currently the only crypto that you can buy with a bank card (credit card or debit card) on their website.
They might add more cryptocurrencies in the future.
Overall in the topic of Shapeshift vs Changelly then we can say that both are useful sites. Trusted by millions of customers around the world. And they have both been around for some time now.
And I would trust both of them personally for buying and swapping cryptocurrencies.
Changelly customer support
Changelly boosts of having live and dedicated customer support every day 24/7.
These are the key features of the customer support and informational guides that Changelly has:
- You can chat with their support directly via their site, just look out for the chat widget on their site
- You can also leave a support ticket for any queries or things that you need help with – you can do it here.
- Additionally, it has a helpful FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) that probably will answer most of the questions that might you have – check it out here
- They also have video guides to help newcomers use their site and buy, swap and sell cryptos – check it out here
Make sure that you are in a country in which Changelly is supported, to find out if there are any restrictions for your country check the Terms of Condition page here
But currently, restricted countries are (for nationals or residents):
- Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Crimea, Sudan, Syria, the United States of America (including all USA territories like Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Island, and the US Virgin Islands (St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas), Bangladesh and Bolivia
- As well as any other country subject to United Nations Security Council Sanctions List and its equivalent (“Prohibited Jurisdictions”)
We hope by now that you feel very comfortable knowing how Changelly work, the key features of it and if it is legit and safe to use.
In this Changelly review, we have walked you through how to use it to swap cryptocurrencies, buy cryptocurrencies and sell cryptocurrencies in a nice-looking UI and easy-to-use site and mobile app.
We have ourselves used Changelly a few times and can support its claim for being one of the most popular sites to easily buy and swap cryptos.
And we think that Changelly is a site that improves over time, by adding new features and adding new coins. So we think that Changelly is one that will be around for a longer time ahead.
There’s been some concerns with Monero usage together with Changelly. And these concerns could be valid. Or they could be linked to some other reasons for why Changelly have withheld user funds.
In most cases there is a reasonable explanation. And we need to remember that many criminals are using Monero to launder funds. So we can’t know for sure. But I’d avoid using Monero with Changelly to be on the safe side.
But besides that I wouldn’t have any issues using Changelly. It works, it’s fast and fairly cheap.
So, you can definitely use Changelly and trust it being safe, legit, and transparent with how it works and the fees that apply.
If there is anything that you are still unsure about then please let us know, either by leaving a comment below or getting in touch with us – via contact us.
- 15 Proven Ways of Making Money from Cryptocurrency (2019)
- How to Sell Bitcoin for cash – ‘cash out BTC’
- What is Crypto Mining? Find out Everything You Need
- The best way to investing in cryptocurrency
Per Englund – Founder of Go CryptoWise a cryptocurrency and tech fan that want to see better and smarter products and services that make our lives better and easier