How to buy XROP (Ripple) 2021 Guide
Some of our posts may have affiliate links including this one. That means if you make a purchase I may get a commission (at no extra cost for you). To find out more about it read our Disclosure page
From investors to banks, media, and crypto enthusiasts. We can understand why you might be interested in investing in Ripple’s cryptocurrency XRP.
In this guide, I will talk about how you can easily buy Ripple using a couple of different payment methods. I will also talk about where you can store your XRPs. And some important tips for beginners to think about when buying Ripple – XRP!
So don’t worry follow this guide and I will remove all the complexity from XRP Ripple!
Summary of how to buy XRP guide:
- First, find a good Ripple wallet
- Buy XRP at a recommended site or exchange
- Send your XRPs to the Ripple wallet
That is it. Simply follow the steps in this guide and buying XRP will be easier than ever. We will include pictures to make it super easy to follow!
What is Ripple (XRP)?
Before we head into the guide on how you can buy XRP we wanted to briefly explain what Ripple is, and why there is so much interest in the XRP cryptocurrency!
XRP is a digital asset meant for quick global transactions. It is imagined that financial institutes such as banks could use the XRP cryptocurrency for fast, scalable cross-border transactions.
The XRP cryptocurrency and the XRP-ledger are open-source technology in which anyone can build on. the XRP can consistently handle over 1,500 transactions per second but can scale to handle the same output as VISA.
Reports of Ripple transactions being able to scale and handle 65,000 TPS.
Ripple team is ambitious with lofty goals of seeing Ripple ledger and the XRP cryptocurrency being at the heart of financial institutes all over the world.
Ripple is not the traditional blockchain, it instead has its own consensus mechanism and distributed ledger – the Ripple Protocol consensus algorithm (RPCA – learn more about it in the Whitepaper).
Find a good Ripple (XRP) wallet
Each Ripple (XRP) wallet address is unique. And they all start on ‘r’. A receiving XRP address is similar to your bank account. It is used for receiving cryptocurrencies from others.
To access your XRP wallets you need to have the private keys (it is recommended that you are the only one with access to them), and usually, the private keys to your Ripple wallet are 12 words or 24 words passphrase.
A Ripple address is between 25 and 35 characters in length. And consists of letters and numbers.
Ripple wallet option #1 – Ledger Nano S (hardware)
These two cryptocurrency wallets are hardware devices. Which are known for it strong security features.
A crypto hardware wallet is one of the smarter choices for storing any crypto, including XRP.
Both the Ledger Nano S and X are competent devices that more than enough do the job. The X is the newer one, but the S is definitely good enough still in 20210.
- Find out more about storing your XRPs on the Ledger Nano S here
- And you can buy the Ledger Nano S here – it costs about $60
Ripple wallet option #2 – Ledger Nano X (hardware)
The Ledger Nano X is the newer and upgraded version of the S model. With more storage space, Bluetooth is another new feature. So that you can use it with your mobile device or tablet.
Other than that they are still fairly similar. They both use the Ledger Live application (available for both desktop and mobile – iOS and Android).
- Find out more about storing your XRPs on the Ledger Nano X here
- And you can buy the Ledger Nano X here – it costs about $120
Ripple wallet option #3 – Atomic wallet (mobile + desktop)
Atomic wallet is a popular multi-currency wallet. That is available for both desktop and mobile (macOS, Windows, Linux and iOS and Android).
The Atomic wallet supports more than 300+ cryptocurrencies and XRP is one of them! The private keys are never stored on Atomic.
- Download the free app here
- Find an even more extensive guide on top XRP wallets to use here
Where to buy Ripple (XRP)
As XRP is one of the most popular cryptocurrencies in the world, there are plenty of more options to buy XRP from.
In this guide, we will cover a range of different payment methods you could use to buy XRP with! It’s great to have so many different options when buying cryptos, making it easier for us all.
- You can buy Ripple with a credit card or debit card (Coinbase, Changelly, or Bitpanda) – instant and easy!
- You can buy Ripple with a bank transfer (Coinbase, Kraken or Binance Jersey)
- You can buy Ripple at cryptocurrency exchanges (Binance)
How to buy Ripple on Coinbase (Card + Bank)
First out on this list for buying Ripple is Coinbase. And it is one of our favourite cryptocurrency exchanges to buy and sell cryptos at!
This is because Coinbase is one of the easiest sites to use. It also has a range of different payment methods available. For example:
- You could buy Ripple with a bank card at Coinbase
- You could buy Ripple with a bank transfer at Coinbase
In order to buy XRP at Coinbase with a credit or debit card follow these steps:
- First head to www.coinbase.com and create an account – click on Get started
- When you are logged in you need to add your credit or debit card to your account (link it) – click on Settings and Linked accounts to do it
- After that has been done simply click on buy Ripple and confirm the amount that you want to buy for in your Fiat currency (USD, GBP or EUR)
- Done! This is instant so the XPR will be available in your Coinbase wallet in a matter of seconds
In order to buy XRP at Coinbase with a bank transfer follow these steps:
- First head to www.coinbase.com and create an account – click on Get started
- When you are logged in you need to add your bank account to your Coinbase account (link it) – click on Settings and Linked accounts to do it
- When that has been done you can then buy Ripple with your bank account
- Click on deposit money to USD, EUR or GBP wallet – you will then buy Ripple using that wallet
- Follow the instructions and make sure you use the reference number in your bank transfer so that it can be linked with your account
That’s how you make a bank transfer from your bank to Coinbase and then buy XRP with the deposited funds.
Buying with a bank transfer has many advantages, with much lower fees being one of them. It can take 1-2 days for the transaction to complete. So that is what you have to weigh between using a card or bank transfer.
- The instant transaction with a card
- Save on fees with a bank transfer
How to buy Ripple on Changelly (Credit card + or debit card)
Changelly is a cryptocurrency broker site. As the name details, you can change (or swap) cryptocurrencies easily on their site for other cryptocurrencies. For example, use it to instantly change some Bitcoin for Ripple!
But you can also use Changelly to buy cryptos with a bank card (credit or debit cards are accepted). And now recently Changelly has added several cryptocurrencies to buy with a card.
Making Changelly a given place for users that wants to buy Ripple instantly and without hassle! Here you can buy XRP with credit card or debit card.
Read our review of Changelly here.
To buy Ripple on Changelly with your bank card simply follow these steps below:
- First, go to www.changelly.com and click on Buy crypto VISA button
- Enter the amount you want to buy for in you Fiat currency (USD, EUR or GBP)
- Continue the steps to buy Ripple – add your card details and any personal information required by Changelly
- It is important that you have your own Ripple wallet address before completing this step – this is a requirement so that you can send your XRPs to it
That is it. That’s how you buy Ripple instantly using your bank card at Changelly!
How to buy Ripple on Bitpanda (Credit card + or debit card)
Another option that you have to buy Ripple with a credit card or debit card is to use Bitpanda!
Bitpanda was launched in 2014 in Vienna, Austria. It has established itself as a user-friendly site, with lots of features and payment options for both buying and selling cryptocurrencies.
And with over 1 million users this European crypto company is doing their part to further move along the adoption and interest for cryptocurrencies.
Currently, Bitpanda is only available for Europeans.
This is how you can buy XRP using your card at Bitapanda:
- First, go to www.bitpanda.com and create your own account
- When that’s done and you’re are logged in verify your account and identity to proceed with buying XRP with your credit card or debit card
- Select either VISA or Mastercard and proceed and buy XRP instantly
- Enter your card details and complete the purchase
That is how you buy XRP with a credit card or debit card at Bitpanda!
How to buy XRP on Kraken (bank transfer)
The U.S based cryptocurrency exchange Kraken is one of the oldest Bitcoin exchanges still around. And it is with good reasons why they are popular amongst crypto investors.
Especially in recent times. Kraken has recently upgraded their site and platform and acquired other companies in the crypto space. To help make Kraken a definite choice on lists like this.
At Kraken, you can buy a range of cryptos, with XRP being one of them. You can trade cryptocurrencies for others, and deposit money from your bank account.
To find out how you deposit funds from your bank and buy XRP follow these steps below:
- Go to www.kraken.com and create a new account
- Go to the funding page when logged in and select deposit and the deposit option (bank transfers only)
- When the deposit is done you can then buy XRP directly from Kraken Pro (a pro-version of Kraken) using either XRP/USD, XRP/EUR, XRP/JPY or XRP/CAD as trading pairs
How to buy Ripple on Binance Jersey (bank transfer)
Binance has recently launched two new separate cryptocurrency exchanges. One is Binance Jersey, which is based in Jersey (part of the British Crown). And the other is Binance U.S.
The former being an exchange that has Fiat on and off-ramps available for European users.
Making it possible to deposit funds from your bank and also withdraw them from Binance Jersey.
This opens up for additional payment methods to the users who are used to Binance. However, Binance Jersey is only available for EU citizens.
And the latter Binance U.S being the answers to regulatory effects that made Binance close down their standard offering to U.S customers.
This is how you deposit funds to Binance Jersey and then buy XRP:
- Go to www.binance.je and create an account with them
- You will need to verify your identity and address first before buying BTC or ETH at Binance Jersey (User Center -> Address Verification/Identity Verification)
- When verified you can then deposit funds from your bank account via – ‘Funds’ and ‘Deposits’ – complete the deposit
- Buy BTC/ETH/LTC/BNB, etc via Binance Jersey – click on ‘Exchange‘ and ‘Basic/Advanced‘ and find the trading pairs that match your Fiat currency and crypto that you want to buy (BTC/ETH, etc)
- Send it to an exchange site such as Binance and then trade it for XRP
That is how you deposit funds from your bank and then buy another cryptocurrency like Bitcoin or Ether, to then send it to another exchange where you can buy Ripple (XRP).
Follow this guide and we will talk about the cryptocurrency exchange that trade XRP – Binance!
How to buy Ripple on Binance (with a credit card and debit card or cryptocurrencies)
You could also use Binance the original to buy XRP. And to summarise why Binance is so popular goes down to a few things. Such as the great trading volume on most coins, making it easier to buy and sell them when you need to!
Other things that have attracted many users to Binance is that they have lots of cryptocurrencies available on its platform. Thirdly they have done some impressive work in adding features like the SAFU fund to help secure their users’ funds in the case of a hack.
To use Binance to buy XRP with your credit card or debit card follow these steps:
- Head to www.binance.com and create your own account
- When logged in click on Buy Crypto and enter the cryptocurrency you want to buy (XRP), the amount in Fiat currency (USD, EUR, GBP, etc)
- Then proceed through the following steps to complete the purchase (adding your card details + potentially identity and personal information)
That is it! That’s how you buy Ripple using your credit or debit card at Binance! After that XRP will shortly get credited to your account and now you can move them to another more secure XRP wallet!
To use Binance to buy XRP with other cryptocurrencies follow these steps:
- Head to www.binance.com and create your own account
- If you don’t have any other cryptocurrencies on the account you first need to add some. There are a bunch of different trading pairs for XRP available at Binance. For example BTC, ETH, BNB and then a bunch of stablecoins, such as Tether, USDC
- Deposit the cryptocurrencies that you want to use and then find the right trading pairs when the deposit is done at Binance – via Markets or Trade buttons and then buy some XRP
That’s how you buy XRP using another cryptocurrency at Binance!
If you don’t want to use either of these cryptocurrency exchanges to buy Ripple, here are a number of other sites and exchanges that you could use to buy XRP:
You can find additional exchanges that trade XRP using Go CryptoMarket!
Send XRP to your Ripple wallet
To send your XRPs from any exchange or broker site you need to find the XRP wallet address. And as mentioned above this is 20-35 characters long address with numbers and letters.
Simply copy that and then go to the crypto exchange or broker site that you have your XRPs at. Then paste the address in and send them.
The process of sending XRPs is like sending any other cryptocurrency. What is important to be aware of is that XRP wallets are unique. And you can only send XRPs to them. And each wallet address is also unique.
Frequently Asked Questions about buying Ripple
How do I buy Ripple with USD?
You can buy Ripple directly with USD either as a card purchase at Coinbase, Changelly or Bitpanda as we summarise above.
Or you can buy XRP USD with a bank transfer by using Coinbase or Kraken.
How do I buy Ripple in the United States of America (U.S.A)?
You can use a variety of the options listed in this guide, but to summarise which ones that are open for U.S customers:
- Coinbase (buy with a credit card and debit card and bank transfer + PayPal for selling)
- Kraken (buy with a bank transfer + cryptocurrency trades)
- Changelly (buy with your credit and debit card and bank transfer)
- Binance (buy with cryptocurrencies)
How do I buy Ripple fast?
Should I buy Ripple?
Well, that is a question that we can’t answer for you. We have noticed that there is a lot of interest in Ripple from other traders and holders (learn more about trading vs holding here).
Only you should decide if it’s worth investing your money into it. We can help you by asking you these questions:
- Do you believe that XRP represents a good investment opportunity for the short term or long term?
- Do you want to buy XRP to use it/spend it?
- Do you realise that cryptocurrencies are a high-risk investment?
- Can you afford it?
If you didn’t answer yes to either question 1 or 2, then why do you want to invest? And if you didn’t answer yes to both questions 3 and 4 then you don’t sound ready to invest.
How do I secure my XRP?
A very important part of investing in cryptocurrencies is to secure them in your own wallet. This could be a hardware wallet, mobile wallet or simply having your own private keys and using a web interface.
The important factor is to consider how secure the wallet is. Do you own the private keys to it, and nobody else can access them? Is it easy to use? Does it have any useful features?
Those are all important questions that many crypto holders ask for when choosing a crypto wallet!
How many Ripple coins are there?
There is a total supply of about 100 billion XRP and a circulating supply currently of about 43 billion XRP. The remaining XRP not in circulation is own by the Ripple Foundation and held in escrow.
Every month 1 billion XRP is unlocked from the escrow and part of it is sold via OTC desks.
That is the end of this guide on how to buy Ripple and what are some of your best options to use. We have covered how you can buy XRP with your credit card, debit card, bank transfer and buying with other cryptocurrencies.
So I’m sure that one of the options listed here should meet your needs.
We have also listed a couple of popular Ripple wallets for you. It is important that you choose a wallet known for its strong security features.
If there is anything else you might wonder about in regards to buying XRP then let us know. And if you have any questions then don’t hesitate to leave a comment and we will get back to you!
Please share this article with others that might be interested in buying Ripple!
Find other guides on buying cryptos:
Hello and welcome to Go Cryptowise.
My name is Per Englund and I’m a long-term fan and investor and trader of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. I caught the attention of Bitcoin like many other several years ago, but it was first around 2016/2017 that I truly got into cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.
I have since traded, bought, researched and learnt about this new emerging space to the fullest. When not producing crypto-content I create and design new products and businesses. And I want to combine my business experience with my passion to create meaningful content for all our readers.
And I am bringing this vision to my writing and how Go CryptoWise work.
Connect with me on LinkedIn. Ask me anything on here.
Get in touch with me to find out more about Go CryptoWise and what we care about.