How to invest in Bitcoin the beginner guide
This post may have affiliate links. That means if you make a purchase I may get a commission (at no extra cost for you). To find out more about read Disclosure page
In this guide, we will explore the wonderful new emerging technology of Bitcoin, and we will guide how to best invest in Bitcoin.
You might ask yourself, is it too late to buy Bitcoin. And by the end of this Bitcoin investing guide, we hope that the answer to that question is super easy for you to answer.
In this Bitcoin investment guide, you will learn more about what Bitcoin is, how to invest in Bitcoin and some of our favourite tips from the crypto community. So that you can invest smarter in Bitcoin!
Since Bitcoin was created in 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto it has had its ups and downs throughout time. But it’s still standing here today showing the enormous potential and value it brings. You might think it’s too late to invest in Bitcoin? Is Bitcoin a good investment?
That question has been asked by so many people since the beginning of Bitcoin. It was asked when Bitcoin was valued at $1 dollar. Next at $10 dollars, later at $200 dollars, then $1000, etc. Here we have created a guide on investing smarter in Bitcoin.
In this guide to investing in Bitcoin you will learn about:
- About Bitcoin
- How to invest in Bitcoin
- Recommended wallets to store your Bitcoins at
- Where can I spend my Bitcoin?
- Taxes for Bitcoin
This guide covers a wide range of topics related to Bitcoin. Like the history of Bitcoin, how to actually invest in Bitcoin, what should you do after buying some Bitcoin – where to store them safely, how taxes work and much more. So this guide could be useful for you in different scenarios along the way.
“I think the internet is going to be one of the major forces for reducing the role of government. The one thing that’s missing but that will soon be developed, is a reliable e-cash.”– Professor Milton Friedman, a Nobel Prize winner in economics
At the end of this guide on investing in Bitcoin we will have hopefully helped you get answers on:
- Know the answer to internal questions like; is Bitcoin a good investment still?
- And you should be comfortable in knowing how to actually invest in Bitcoin and where to buy Bitcoin
No one knows the ‘true value’ of one Bitcoin. But tons of people know that it brings a lot of value and is a unique investment. That’s why it’s called ‘digital gold’. It represents an investment we never have seen before.
And so does all cryptocurrencies. It was the same when stocks first entered the market as an investment. And similarly to gold, you cannot simply create new Bitcoins. And like gold, it has to be mined via digital means. And it as gold has a limited and finite supply.
In fact, there are only 21 million Bitcoins that can ever be mined in total. It’s impossible for the world’s population to own one whole Bitcoin each. That’s obviously one key part that attracted us to this space, that investing in Bitcoin was an opportunity of a lifetime.
Let us explore how to buy Bitcoin using our best tips.
What is Bitcoin?
Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency. It is also the first cryptocurrency, and also the birth of the blockchain (the underlying technology that most cryptocurrencies are built on). But today there are hundreds, if not thousands of cryptocurrencies.
Bitcoin is a digital currency that exists on the thing called the blockchain. And anyone in the world can send Bitcoin to someone else. It is not controlled by governments, the EU, or other financial institutions. It is built on a decentralized economy, where you and I have equal rights and power.
Who created Bitcoin?
Ah the million dollar question. And to be honest no one really knows. But the person or group behind Bitcoin is known by the name of Satoshi Nakamoto. And publicly no one knows who that is. A mystery that makes Bitcoin and blockchain somewhat more interesting according to us. You can find the original whitepaper to Bitcoin here.
What are cryptocurrencies?
A cryptocurrency is a digital or virtual currency designed to work as a medium of exchange. It uses cryptography to secure and verify transactions as well as to control the creation of new units of a particular cryptocurrency.
Essentially, cryptocurrencies are limited entries in a decentralised database that no one can change unless specific conditions are fulfilled.
Read our full guide on what a cryptocurrency is and how the technology behind it all works here.
These are the steps that you need to take to get started with investing in Bitcoin now:
- Find an exchange where you can buy Bitcoins
We recommend that you research and find an exchange that you feel comfortable with – we have reviewed and listed the most trustworthy cryptocurrency exchanges here.
- Find a wallet where you can store your Bitcoins
Remember when it comes to Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies exchanges are not like a bank. You are in charge of keeping your Bitcoins safe. So make sure you are keeping them safe using a secure wallet.
If you want to buy some Bitcoin for an investment or other reasons then we will talk you through the steps. And provide some recommendations for buying Bitcoin safely, and later on storing it somewhere safe using a secure wallet.
The most common way to buy Bitcoin is through an exchange. An exchange is a trading platform where people meet to buy and sell for example cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin.
1 ) Using a cryptocurrency exchange to buy Bitcoin:
Now if you feel comfortable and think that Bitcoin is a good investment then you need to find a suitable cryptocurrency exchange as step 1.
If you live in a country where you can register for an online exchange then we highly recommend you get started using that method. Here below we have collected our favourite exchanges for you to use, where you can register and buy Bitcoin using the best cryptocurrency exchanges.
The steps to use any of these exchanges are pretty much the same:
- Register an account with them
- Deposit money through a wire/bank transfer
- Buy Bitcoin using your deposited money
- Proceed to store your newly purchased Bitcoins at a safe wallet
Coinbase is perhaps the most well-known cryptocurrency exchange out there. It’s often the initial platform that many new users start with after getting interested in Bitcoin.
And that’s because they have done it so extremely well in making it easy for new users to understand and get started.
So if you want to get started easily with Bitcoin we highly recommend Coinbase. So if you’re looking for the easy way to getting started with Bitcoin then Coinbase is the right cryptocurrency exchange for you!
Get started with Coinbase here (Get $10 free when signing up via that link)
OKEx is the second biggest exchange for cryptocurrencies when comparing trade volume (24h). OKEx has its headquarter in Hong Kong, but has recently joined Binance in moving parts of their business to blockchain and tax-friendly Malta.
OKEx offers fiat-to-crypto and crypto-to-crypto trading on more than 100 digital currencies. OKEx is a great exchange to use for Bitcoin, but also for its vast offering of many different cryptocurrencies.
Get started with OKEx here
LocalBitcoins is different from your everyday crypto exchange, one of the early pioneers in the crypto space LocalBitcoins helped to connect people with each other via their platform. LocalBitcoins connects buyers and sellers together and they provide you with a wallet option on via their site.
And they are one of the original places where most people got started buying Bitcoin. LocalBitcoins is one of the original Bitcoin exchanges and still a good option for people looking into different ways of getting hold of Bitcoin at.
Get started with LocalBitcoins here
Kucoin launched in 2017 and fairly quickly made a name for itself in the crypto world due to its early adoption of certain altcoins and their own coin called Kucoin Shares (KCS) which is a passive income coin.
Overall Kucoin has proven to be a worthy exchange and a great competitor to Binance. Kucoin holds most of the popular coins, but of course, they also have Bitcoin for you to buy.
Get started with Kucoin here
Binance is right now the leading exchange in the world. They have been doing a lot of things right in the fairly short time they’ve been around.
And at the forefront of all this is their well known and liked CEO Changpeng Zhao, or CZ. Binance for us is a great place to use when buying Bitcoin. But also a great exchange to come back to when you want to buy other cryptocurrencies in the future.
Get started with Binance here
2 ) Store you Bitcoins using a safe wallet
After you have bought some Bitcoins using a cryptocurrency exchange, you should look into secure places to store your Bitcoins at. And with Bitcoins, it’s up to you to manage your own private wallets.
This is where you should store your coins. The safest and best place to store your Bitcoins is on a hardware wallet. Here below we have listed some of the most popular choices available on the market for storing Bitcoin.
We have created a guide to the different types of wallets for Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies here – but we recommend using a hardware wallet as they are the most secure wallets available.
Recommended wallets to store your Bitcoins at:
Ledger Nano S
The Ledger Nano S is one of the more if not most popular hardware wallets for your average Bitcoin holder. I mean the average holder that values the security of their Bitcoins. We all know or we should know about the hazards of keeping your Bitcoins at an exchange.
It is the original wallet from the Ledger team and it is like the Trezor One loved by many crypto holders as it is one of the originals.
Buy a Ledger Nano S here
Ledger Nano X
Here it is, the new Ledger Nano X. The latest addition from the Ledger team, now Bluetooth-enabled. With Bluetooth, Nano X can be used with mobile devices, which makes sense in today’s mobile world. Storing your Bitcoins on a Ledger Nano X is easy, and foremost secure.
Buy a Ledger Nano X here
Another hardware wallet option for storing your Bitcoins is Keepkey. It positions itself as the simple wallet option on the market. KeepKey supports 54 coins and tokens through one native Chrome app.
Buy a Keepkey here
The Trezor wallet is also one of the most popular choices for hardware wallets. Trezor Model T supports more than 500 coins, it’s easy to use and of course, it does the job to keep your coins safe. Storing your Bitcoin on a hardware wallet is a must to be, and feel safe!
Buy a Trezor T here
The Trezor wallet is also one of the most popular choices for hardware wallets, with the Ledger Nano S.
The Trezor One is cheaper than model T but it still very much does the job to keep your Bitcoins safe, but with fewer features and without the colour touchscreen.
The Trezor One is the original crypto hardware wallet. So in many ways, it is a pioneer and it still ranks as the leading hardware wallet by many die-hard crypto fans.
Buy a Trezor One here
Read our extended guide to these top hardware wallets here.
Guide on the best Bitcoin and cryptocurrency wallets
If you want to find out more about the different wallets you can use to keep your Bitcoins safe, then read our complete guide on the best Bitcoin and cryptocurrency wallets.
It will give a complete look into the different types of Bitcoin and cryptocurrency wallets. Providing you with the perfect insights to decide which cryptocurrency and Bitcoin wallet is the right one for you.
If you don’t want to hold (hodl) all of your Bitcoins as a long-term investment. Then you can look into where you can use your Bitcoins to pay for products and services. Like your morning coffee, the electricity bill or at a restaurant. We have created the nice little guide for you, it will showcase some of the hotel, shops, restaurants around the world that accepts Bitcoin payments.
Depending on where you live, you might need to pay taxes for your Bitcoin trades, and if you’ve bought an item or service using your Bitcoins too. It is common that Bitcoin is classified as an asset.
And any capital gains made on that Bitcoin could be taxed in your country. So after investing in Bitcoin you should look up your country’s tax situation on cryptocurrency assets like Bitcoin.
If you bought 1 Bitcoin for $4000 dollars and later on sold it for $6000, then you need to pay taxes on that $2000 gains.
This also includes if you’ve bought 1 Bitcoin and then, later on, used that Bitcoin to pay for a product or service.
If Bitcoin at that time had increased in value then you need to pay capital gains tax on that increase. Have a look at our guide on crypto taxes here. And check with your country’s tax agency if unsure.
If you’ve done a lot of Bitcoin trades
If you’ve made a lot of trades with Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies it could become quite difficult to compile them all at correct prices and dates. We know that from previous experience.
Make sure you’re avoiding these common risks with Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies
- You need to be in control of your own Bitcoins. That means don’t leave your Bitcoins on an exchange for too long. Use a safe hardware wallet for example, read our wallet guide here.
- Make sure that any link you click on is genuine – check for the HTTPS part. Don’t open emails from people you don’t know.
- Use strong passwords, no ‘password1234’, ‘2019password’, etc.
- And do your research before investing in new projects and ICOs. For the full guide on how to be safe with crypto.
Follow the Bitcoin community!
If you are looking to find smart tips, trading advice and get your Bitcoin questions answered then would recommend that you hang with the rest of the Bitcoin community.
It can definitely help beginners learn a lot about BTC and other cryptos, and most of the time it is fun to chat with other fans.
So if you are thinking about investing in Bitcoin Reddit, Telegram and Facebook should be good places for you to start at.
We would recommend:
- For Reddit we suggest these subreddits – R/Bitcoin, Reddit/R/BTC, Reddit/R/BitcoinBeginners (Bitcoin Cash focus) and Reddit/R/CryptoCurrency
- For Facebook – do a search for Facebook groups, but we can recommend our groups – The Crypto Corner and The Crypto Club
- For Telegram – same as Facebook, there’s plenty of chats to join so do a search for them – but we can recommend this site for a few suggestions
Last important tips to consider before you get started with investing in Bitcoin
- Bitcoins are a great store of value, over time it can fluctuate in price. But since Bitcoin is a deflationary asset, the value of bitcoin raises over time and prices of products get reduced against the value of bitcoin. We believe this is one of the key factors that answer is Bitcoin a good investment or not!
- Don’t store your Bitcoins on an exchange! You can have them there for a shorter time when you are buying or selling more Bitcoins. But remember the safest place to store your Bitcoins are on a wallet.
- You don’t have to buy whole Bitcoins! You can buy them in fractions. From 0.1 Bitcoin down all the way to 0.00000001฿
- You are responsible for the safety of your Bitcoins. After figuring out how to buy some Bitcoin, you need to know how to store your Bitcoins safely. According to us that means a secure hardware wallet. Make sure you keep the wallet safe and the private keys to unlock the wallet safe too
- Do research before investing. Following this advice will mean that you will, educate yourself, be in control of your decisions, and less likely to be tricked/scammed. As there are people out there who might have some bad agendas for pushing their coins to you.
- Don’t rush in. Take your time to get started with Bitcoin. Maybe you can set up a standing order to buy a small amount of Bitcoin monthly. And as you get use to Bitcoin, the exchanges, the wallets then you can increase your investments. Using this method investing in Bitcoin will be easier, and you won’t invest more than you are willing to risk.
- Bitcoin are like stocks, fonds and other investments might change in price. Don’t panic. It’s easy to panic when you see your investment go down in price. Only make decisions that are planned and researched. By doing so you will minimise your risks and feel much more comfortable when you see price changes. So when investing in Bitcoin you need to be comfortable with sudden drops in value.
- Use our Crypto vocabulary to get use to the words most commonly used by the Bitcoin and cryptocurrency community.
- Follow the live prices of Bitcoin right here. It will update the price of Bitcoin and many other cryptocurrencies in real time! Making investing in Bitcoin and tracking your price goals even easier.
- Read more of our guides to learn more about Bitcoin, other cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology.
We hope that you liked this Bitcoin investment guide. And that it has helped you understand more about what Bitcoin is. And how to invest in Bitcoin with some added smart tips from us and the crypto community.
We will continue to update this guide to make it relevant as Bitcoin, technology and investing strategies improve and change. But also we listen to user feedback. So if you have any questions or thoughts please let us know!
Other popular guides:
- 8 most popular privacy coins
- The top crypto exchanges in 2020
- A guide to cryptocurrency markets
- HODL, DYOR, REKT the 41 cryptocurrency terms you need to know!
Per Englund – Founder of Go CryptoWise a cryptocurrency and tech fan that want to see better and smarter products and services that make our lives better and easier